Friday, October 22, 2010

Dear 13-year old Allisha..

On a forum that I frequent, there was a thread started inspired by this article;

http://www.ivillage.com/letter-my-13-year-old-self/4-a-291551?dst=blogher,ntwk_hdln,102110,wb,loveyourbodyday

I decided after reading some responses that I should do one, too.

Dear 13-year-old Me,

You're just that - 13. I should have wrote this to you when you were 9, because maybe then it wouldn't be too late. You're the only girl I know with 2 full time jobs ontop of grade school.

You're growing up way too fast.

You're heading into high school next year, and its going to be rough for the first little while but you'll make some great friends. Stay away from the kids that hang out near the front doors, though, they aren't good for your health.


I need to tell you something, and I need you to believe me. Its not your fault, okay? Mom is a strong woman, and although she seems angry she isn't angry at you. You are her rock, and all she really has in this world - in a few years, you'll see. Come home on time, don't sass back. Do you chores and stop fighting with Sam, doesn't sound like much fun but do it anyway..


When people call you fat, and make fun of the way you look its only because they have nothing better to say. You're an intelligent girl, you're strong, you're going to grow up to be a great person. You're beautiful on the inside, and out. Who cares what they say.


Dad only has about 10 years left, so take it easy on him, okay? I know he isn't the easiest person to get along with, but he loves you more than you know. Cherish the time you have with him, and don't grow up too fast - he hates that.


Remember that there are people in this world that love you, and cherish you, and respect you because of your strength and ability to love unconditionally. You will find happiness, because you deserve it, even if you don't think so right now.


Yours truly,23 year old you.

2 comments: